FLAVOURS OF THE WORLD
Ethiopian chicken with berberi sauce and fresh ginger
This historic dish is a prime example of how a handful of the right spices create a perfect balance of hot and sweet.
Developed by CanolaInfo.org
50 minutes (prep: 5 mins / cook: 45 mins)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin seeds
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cardamom seeds (removed from green or white pods)
- ½ tsp (2 mL) black peppercorns
- 3 to 5 dried red cayenne chiles (like chile de arbol), stems removed
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches/7.5 cm long)
- 2 small yellow onions, one coarsely chopped and other finely chopped
- 2 pieces fresh ginger (each about size and thickness of 25 cent coin)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- ¼ cup (50 mL) canola oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) cut-up bone-in chicken, skin removed (see tip)
- Calories 310
- Carbs 8 g
- Sugar 2 g
- Fibre 3 g
- In small bowl, combine cumin, cardamom, peppercorns, chiles and cinnamon. Preheat large skillet over medium-high heat. Once pan feels hot, add spice blend to pan. Toast spices, stirring them constantly as they bloom with nutty aroma and turn just a shade darker, 1 to 2 minutes. Quickly remove spices from pan and transfer to plate to cool, about 5 minutes. Once cooled, transfer spices to grinder, like coffee grinder, and grind to consistency of finely ground black pepper.
- In food processor, place coarsely chopped onion, ginger, garlic and ground spices. Mince ingredients to consistency of slightly coarse paste.
- In same skillet, pour canola oil and heat over medium temperature. Once oil appears to shimmer, add finely chopped onion and stir-fry until it turns light brown around edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add paste to skillet and cook, stirring ingredients occasionally, uncovered, until moisture in paste evaporates and canola oil starts to separate from mix, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces and allow them to absorb flavours from other ingredients, turning occasionally, uncovered, until some pieces turn lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and stir well.
- Lower heat to medium-low and cook chicken, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat in thickest parts is no longer pink inside and juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve chicken warm with aromatic sauce alongside a plate of rice, couscous or in the traditional way with slices of hard-boiled eggs.
Tip: To skin, hold chicken piece in one hand and with a paper towel in the other hand, pull off skin, using towel to help you grip skin. Sometimes partially freezing chicken also makes skinning easier.
Per serving (1 chicken piece and ⅓ cup/75 mL sauce)
- Calories 310
- Protein 40 g
- Total fat 12 g
- Saturated fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 125 mg
- Carbohydrates 8 g
- Fibre 3 g
- Sugars 2 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 85 mg
- Potassium 869 mg
© 2022 Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. Reproduced with permission from the Heart and Stroke Foundation.