Chocolate almond bites
Little goodies with BIG flavour (you won’t even notice there’s beans inside).
Developed by Emily Richards (PH Ec.)
16 minutes (prep: 15 mins / cook: 1 min)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) natural almond or peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 oz (30 g) bittersweet 70% cocoa chocolate, melted
- ½ tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ground almonds
- Calories 112
- Carbs 13 g
- Sugar 6 g
- Fibre 2 g
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine dates and water; cover and microwave on high for 1 minute or until softened and water is absorbed.
- Scrape mixture and beans into food processor with almond butter and cocoa powder. Puree until very smooth, stopping and scraping down sides a couple of times.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in chocolate and vanilla. Chill in refrigerator for about 45 minutes or until slightly firm. Using a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon, roll into balls and place on small baking sheet. Roll into ground almonds and keep refrigerated.
Tip: These can be frozen for up to 2 weeks or kept in the refrigerator for up to 1 week in a covered container.
Per serving (1 bite)
- Calories 47
- Protein 1 g
- Total fat 2 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Carbohydrates 7 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Added sugars 0 g
- Sodium 2 mg
- Potassium 101 mg
© 2022 Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. Reproduced with permission from the Heart and Stroke Foundation.